Wednesday, December 17, 2008

God Works In Unexpected Ways

There once was a village in a valley between two mountains. The village was protected by a dam which held water back from a nearby reservoir.
One day a man living in the valley was sitting in his kitchen when he heard on the radio that the dam was breaking. The man prayed to God, "Lord, please rescue me from this imminent flood so that I may live another day." The man then went out on to his front porch and waited.
After about fifteen minutes the local sheriff drove up and said to him, "The dam's breaking! Get in the car quickly!"
"No thanks. God is coming to save me," the man replied.
Another thirty minutes passed and the flood waters rose up to the height of the porch. One of his neighbors came up in a motorboat and yelled to him, "Hop in my boat. The waters are coming up; they'll be over your head soon."
The man yelled back, "I'm waiting for God to come and save me." And the man in the boat went off.
Finally, the waters rose so much that the man had to go on to his roof to stay out of the waters. At last, a Coast Guard helicopter came overhead and dropped a rope to the man with the pilot saying over the loudspeaker, "Grab hold of the rope so that we can pull you up!"
"I'm waiting for God to come and save me. Keep going."
Thirty minutes later the waters covered his house and the man, who couldn't swim, drowned. When he died and went up to Heaven he saw God and asked, "What happened? I waited and waited and you never came to rescue me."
To which God replied, "Never came! I sent you a car, a boat, and a helicopter! What more did you want?"

No comments:

Post a Comment