Saturday, December 20, 2008

Prayers

The Our Father / The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed by thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
-Amen.

Prayer to One's Guardian Angel

Angel of God,
My guardian dear,
Through whom God's love,
Commits me here,
Ever this day,
Be at my side,
To light and guard,
To rule and guide.
-Amen.


Act of Contrition

Oh my God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart, and I detest them. In choosing to do wrong and in failing to do good I have sinned against You, whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with Your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us; in His name, my God, have mercy.
-Amen.

Act of Faith
My God, I firmly believe that You are one God in three Divine Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I believe that your Divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the holy Catholic Church teaches, because You have revealed them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived.
-Amen.

Act of Hope
My God, relying on your infinite goodness and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, help of your grace, and life everlasting through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer.
-Amen.

Act of Love
My God, I love You above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because You are all-good and worthy of all love. I love my neighbor as myself for love of You. I forgive all who have offended me, and I ask pardon for those I have offended.
-Amen.

Confiteor
I confess to Almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts, and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do; and I ask blessed Mary ever virgin, all the angels and saints, and you my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God. May Almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.
-Amen.

Prayer Before a Decision
Probe me, God, know my heart; try me, know my concerns. See if my way is crooked, then lead me in the ancient paths.
-Amen.
-Psalm 139, 23-24

Prayer for Forgiveness
Have mercy on me, God, in your goodness; in your abundant compassion blot out my offense. Wash away all my guilt; from my sin cleanse me. For I know my offense; my sin is always before me. Against you alone have I sinned; I have done such evil in your sight that you are just in your sentence, blameless when you condemn. True, I was born guilty, a sinner, even as my mother conceived me. Still, you insist on sincerity of heart; in my inmost being teach me wisdom. Cleanse me with hyssop, that I may be pure; wash me, make me whiter than snow. Let me hear sounds of joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Turn away your face from my sins; blot out all my guilt. A clean heart create for me, God; renew in me a steadfast spirit. Restore my joy in your salvation; sustain in me a willing spirit.
-Amen. (Psalm 51:3-14)

Act of Adoration
Almighty, eternal God, I acknowledge You as my first beginning and my last end, my creator and redeemer, my sanctification and my consummation, my God and my all. I thank you for your lavish gifts to me, to the whole human race, and to all creation.
-Amen.

The Gift of Life
Lord, teach me not to hold on to life too tightly. Teach me to take it as a gift. To enjoy it, to cherish it while I have it, but to let go gracefully and thankfully when the time comes. The gift is great but the giver is greater still. You are the giver and in You is a life that never ends.
-Amen.

Prayer Before a Journey
May the Almighty and merciful Lord direct us on the road of peace and prosperity, and may the Angel Raphael be our companion on our journey; so that we may return to our home and loved ones with peace, refreshment, and all joy.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Let us pray: O God, Who led the children of Israel safely through the Red Sea, and guided the Wise Men by a star to the Saviour; grant us, we beseech Thee, safe journey and favorable weather; so that, under the guidance of Thy Holy Angels, we may safely reach our destination and, in due time, the gate of eternal salvation. Through the same Christ Our Lord.
St. Christopher, patron of traveler, pray for us, and protect us from evil.
-Amen.

Prayer to Sleep
As I lie here seeking another good night of restful sleep, give me the peace of mind and the ability to relax. Fulfill my needs for mental, physical, and spiritual restoration so I may wake up ready for another beautiful day which I hope you will allow me to live to enjoy with praise and thanks to You and our Lord Jesus.
-Amen.

Prayer for Peace of Mind
O Lord Jesus Christ, I place all my trust in You, hoping for all things from Your goodness. You make a root flourish beneath the soil; You can make fruitful the darkness in which I find myself today. I adore You in all Your purposes even without knowing them; Your will be done, not mine. May I be patient! It is so difficult to realize these trials, heartbreaking as they are, can be turned into blessings. Lord, give me peace of mind, peace of heart, and peace of soul as I offer You my thoughts, my words, and my actions, and yes, Lord, my sufferings; may they all be for Your greater glory.
-Amen.

Prayer of Saint Francis (modified)
Lord, may You make me an instrument of Your peace:
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy;
Where there is weakness, strength;
Where there is fear, courage;
Where there is barronness, fertility;
Where there is lack, abondance;
Where there is fighting, friendship.
Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be noticed as to notice;
To be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are brought to eternal life.
-Amen.

Prayer to St. Michael for Protection from Evil
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, cast into hell Satan and all other evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls.
-Amen.

Prayer to St. Sebastian: Patron of Athletes
Dear commander at the Roman Emperor's court, you chose to be a solider of Christ and dared to spread faith in the King of Kings, for which you were condemned to die. Your body, however, proved athletically strong and the executing arrows extremely weak. So another means to kill you was chosen and you gave your life to the Lord. May athletes always be as strong in their faith as their patron saint so clearly has been.
-Amen.

Take and Receive
Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding and my entire will - all that I have and call my own. You have given it all to me. To You, Lord, I return it. Everything is Yours; do with it what You will. Give me only Your love and Your grace. That is enough for me.
-Amen.

Prayer for Generosity
Dear Lord, teach me to be generous. Teach me to serve You as You deserve: to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek for rest, to labor and not ask for reward, except that of knowing that I am doing Your will.
-Amen.

Prayer for Trust in God
Lord Jesus Christ, you came into the world not only to save us, but also to teach us. When you encountered the paralytic man, instead of healing his body, the first thing you did was to heal his soul. Help us to see what is important in life and death so that we can learn to accept Your will and the good that it is. We ask this in Your name.
-Amen.
-Written by Robert Anthony

Prayer Written by Robert Anthony
Heavenly Father, give me strength,
To always do what's right and never ask for thanks.
Lord Jesus Christ, be my guide,
Stay with me always and walk by my side.
Great Holy Spirit, fill me with Your love,
For my neighbors on earth and God up above.
Angels and saints and the Blessed Mary,
Help me with my burdens when they're hard to carry.
Great awesome God I love You completely,
And I will always love You openly and freely.
-Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment